Friday, August 3, 2012

Tool #11: Self Assessing and Reflecting

I am newly in love with Twitter. Not for social reasons but simply because I am finding the best and most relevant of resources from educators and organizations whose opinions and views I trust. I feel that I am a part of a massive community (obviously) whose goal it is to move our students into the digital age. I intend to use this with my students this year, but I'm still playing around with the logistics. It could be that this year is a practice year, and I can simply use Twitter for class updates. I like the idea of having students Tweet comments as part of a discussion, but that probably wouldn't happen until 2nd semester. Perhaps with Of Mice and Men? Errr, shoot, I can't remember what units are now going to be in 2nd semester...
I still love Dropbox and use it all the time both in school and out of school. I also use Pinterest (not on 11 Tools) quite frequently- I love the app on my phone and have been able to follow several colleagues and educators/organizations (Sir Ken Robinson, iste, TEA, etc.)  See screenshot below.
I haven't had much of a transformation simply because I've had a clear understanding of what I want (and what should be) an integral part of my classroom since I began my preparation to be a teacher. I will probably simply utilize some of these apps now that we actually have technology more readily available to us and the students! (I'm pumped!) 


There weren't really any special surprises within 11 Tools. I will say that I now understand and have seen why and how teachers can be fearful of technology and grow frustrated with it. Because I was a student within the digital age, all of this comes easily to me already, and I suppose I am more grateful of that now and recognize my digital literacy as the valuable skill that it is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment