Friday, August 3, 2012

Tool #10: Digital Citizenship

1. I want my students to understand that the internet can be an incredibly valuable resource, but only if they know how to use it. They jump directly to Google.com every time and do not know how to effectively use this resource, which limits what they're actually being shown and are learning.

2. I want my students to be able to recognize when they are (and when they are not) being critical consumers of what they read both on the internet and in life in general. They cannot call themselves information literate if they believe anything they read on the internet and treat it like The Bible.

3. I want my students to understand that there is an etiquette within the cyber world just as in my classroom. It is appalling to hear them talk about the ways that they are using social networking sites- their "transparency" and honesty online will hurt them later.


I began last year's classes with a lesson pulled from Alan November's Information Literacy Resources. The kids responded well and found it intriguing that the internet can "learn" its users and seemed to find it important that we understand how the internet works and how we should be using it. I wish we had used what we'd learned more frequently- perhaps I taught the lesson at an inopportune time. Perhaps it would be better taught during our persuasion unit.


To keep the parents in the loop, I think the easiest way would be to send a letter home. That seems the most direct and sure-fire way to disseminate classroom information.

No comments:

Post a Comment